• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this really be happening?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedSick2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga was where the offense occured and TN is home of residence, but staying in VA.

Okay, this may be long, but I will make it as short as possible.

Last year, June 25 2010 to be exact, my boyfriend was on his way to Daytona Beach to Wyotech (motorcycle school) to pay his first installment of tuition. While in Camden County GA, he was on the interstate, and from across 3 lanes, a county stopped him for illegal window tint. His tint is legal in TN and he has TN tags on his car. After he gets the ticket for the tint, the officer asks if he minds to have his car searched. He had been having car trouble and was running late as it was and he said no. After that, he was cuffed and put in the back of the police car. They found a couple guns, but he does have his carry permit in TN. They took his gym bag from the trunk which had his work clothes and dirty clothes, and cut the lock off of it. They found his pain medication and Xanax. He was diagnosed several years ago with MS and does have chronic pain and stays way stressed out. He was over his count (bottle clearly states takes AS NEEDED). He also had them locked in his bag so none of the pill heads he works with would rip him off.

After spending 3 days in jail he was officially charged, but was never really told for what. After a week, I drove to GA to go to his "drug court" hearing. The hearing was postponed and his lawyer talked to the DA and had bond set without a hearing. He had no idea his bond was set or that I was even there. He was trying to call my cell to tell me the hearing had been postponed but I never paid for any "jail time" calls to my cell.

After being there several hours, the jailer or whatever told us what his bond was set at. $17,350 cash. Thankfully I did have that much on me, I went prepared with $25K. Once everything was in motion, I had to ask to go back while my cash was being counted. They didnt like that and was pretty hateful with me, but I did get to see it being counted. I asked if I would get it back once his court date was done, and the cop laughed and said theres no guarantee. They actually had the nerve to ask me how I could have that much cash. I thought to myself, you arrogant pig, who are you to question my money and how I choose to spend it. It was my savings, not his. And I thought if I choose to throw it out the window then that was my right. Guess they thought I was a pill head also. Pill heads make me sick. Pill heads have caused this countrys justice system to go straight to hell. Pill heads have made it impossible for anyone with a legitimate illness to seek the attention they deserve. I hate to see him when his muscles cramp. To see a man like that almost cry like a baby. Its pathetic knowing that someone out there is getting high off the medication that could be helping him, but ever since that day, he won't take anything for it. It just makes me sick!!

Nothing happens for an entire year. I call many many times to superior court, the county jail....DA's office...they have no record of him. He loses his cash for school, his medication, his guns, his car, his clothes, his DIRTY clothes, his laptop, his housekeys...everything.

We thought maybe this was behind us since nothing had been done, but once he does his registration to go back to school, and applies for a job with a youth mental health facility. Having to do a background check, all this comes up. We call the lawyer the same day and find out they had recieved a letter from the court a couple days prior stating his has his first hearing before the judge on August 15. This is over a year later, and he has NEVER seen the judge....is this considered a fair and speedy trial?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've got to put my mind at ease.

Oh his was charged with a firearm or knife while commiting a felony, possession of schedule IV, and pills not in their correct container.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">