• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord lied on eviction papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

biged11

I live in San Diego and recently I had wages garnished from a judgment made from my last employer taking me to court.My question is I was not served any court papers and the court papers that they filled out has lies that I refused to move out of apartment till March 27th when I was already living at new place March 17th. Can I take them back to court?Do I need to hire an Attourney?What do I do?

JETX

Go to the court that rendered the judgment and look at the casefile. Look particularly for filings made by the Plaintiff and for a 'Record of Service' (showing attempts made to serve the notice on you). Also, look for the garnishment records.

If they are all in order and proper AND your service was made in accordance with statute, you probably have little basis for requesting a review of the matter (if you were served properly and didn't respond or appear, that is not sufficient grounds). However, if you find that you were not served by law, or that there are substantial errors in the process, you might consider asking for a review. This is not a simple or minor chore and you might consider obtaining counsel in order to proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">