• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H2S Gas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimmiko177

What is the name of your state. CO.
2 yrs. ago my husband was operating a swabbing rig on a location site in the oil and gas field in western CO. As they opened up the well head him and his co worker were exposed to undisclosed amount of H2S gas that they were unaware existed on that location. My husbands co worker became ill and ended up in the er room with double vision and numerous other problems. My husband didnt appear to me to have had any symptoms but 2days later suffered a massive heartattack and died. Now there are rumors there was a cover up about how much H2S gas they were actually exposed to. I do know the company my husband was employeed with has been cited and paid fines for not properly training their employees and providing the proper equipment. What are my steps here to take this company to court and how do I find a damn good lawyer to help me ?I am really upset that they have lied to me about the gas and to what extent they were exposed to it.

tranquility

The first step is to ask his doctor if exposure two days ago would cause the problem. In my, lay, reading of the poison data sheets, this set of facts does not seem mentioned as a risk. (Non-immediate heart attack.) Besides, a heart attack is not a heart attack. Your doctor can tell you what happened as probable precursors, depending on the then test results. Look there first to see if there is even a potential of an actionable relationship.

justalayman

it appears that administering hydrogen sulfide during a heart attack can actually help the situation. I have found nothing relating it to causing a heart attack.

tranquility

All the studies I saw on the benefits to the heart had very low concentrations of the chemical. It is clear a high exposure can kill. It is the time which is the problem. The main issues seem to happen right away and the longer term issues are not as deadly.

justalayman

All the studies I saw on the benefits to the heart had very low concentrations of the chemical. It is clear a high exposure can kill. It is the time which is the problem. The main issues seem to happen right away and the longer term issues are not as deadly.
\Especially since the death was not immediate, I would not see the gas causing cardiac arrest two days later. From what I can find, it causes death by asphyxiation. I cannot find anything suggesting that acute exposure causes a delayed death.

here is a statement of the symptoms for various levels of exposure.
Parts per million - Effects
0.13 - This is the odour threshold. Odour is unpleasant. Sore eyes.
4.6 - Strong intense odour, but tolerable. Prolonged exposure may deaden the sense of smell.
10-20 - Causes painful eye, nose and throat irritation, headaches, fatigue, irritability, insomnia, gastrointestinal disturbance, loss of appetite, dizziness. Prolonged exposure may cause bronchitis and pneumonia.
30-100 - Sickeningly sweet smell noted.
50 - May cause muscle fatigue, inflammation and dryness of nose, throat and tubes leading to the lungs. Exposure for one hour or more at levels above 50 ppm can cause severe eye tissue damage. Long-term exposure can cause lung disease.
100-150 - Loss of smell, stinging of eyes and throat. Fatal after 8 to 48 hours of continuous exposure.
200-250 - Nervous system depression (headache, dizziness and nausea are symptoms). Prolonged exposure may cause fluid accumulation in the lungs. Fatal in 4 to 8 hours of continuous exposure.
250-600 - Pulmonary edema (lungs fill with fluid, foaming in mouth, chemical damage to lungs).
300 - May cause muscle cramps, low blood pressure and unconsciousness after 20 minutes.
300 to 500 - ppm may be fatal in 1 to 4 hours of continuous exposure.
500 - Paralyzes the respiratory system and overcomes victim almost instantaneously. Death after exposure of 30 to 60 minutes.
700 - Paralysis of the nervous system.
1000 - Immediately fatal.

If caught in time, poisoning can be treated and its effects are reversible. Some workers may experience abnormal reflexes-dizziness, insomnia and loss of appetite that lasts for months or years. Acute poisoning which does not result in death may produce long-term symptoms such as loss of memory or depression, paralysis of facial muscles.

tranquility

I agree. However, I don't have the training to know if fluid accumulation in the lungs can instigate a heart attack.

Msradell

Another point to consider could be that the anxiety caused by exposure to the fumes caused the heart attack. This could especially be argued if he had no previous history of a heart condition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">