• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Functions of law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogmom228

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me understand the functions of law. I am taking a business law class for my Associate of Science in Accounting and I am having difficulty with understanding them. My textbook gives a list of the functions, but only one sentence describing them. Can anyone explain? I spent a couple of hours last night trying to research "functions of law" on the internet and got nowhere.

Thank you, in advance!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me understand the functions of law. I am taking a business law class for my Associate of Science in Accounting and I am having difficulty with understanding them. My textbook gives a list of the functions, but only one sentence describing them. Can anyone explain? I spent a couple of hours last night trying to research "functions of law" on the internet and got nowhere.

Thank you, in advance!
**A: Hmmmm, I for one do not understand what you are asking.
Maybe you could post the actual full sentence from your textbook and the list of functions.

dogmom228

**A: Hmmmm, I for one do not understand what you are asking.
Maybe you could post the actual full sentence from your textbook and the list of functions.
The text that I have that tells me what the Functions of the Law states:

The primary functions served by the law in this country are:
1. Keeping the peace: Laws that make certain activities crimes.
2. Shaping Moral standards: Laws that discourage drug and alcohol abuse.
3. Promoting social justice: Laws that prohibit discrimination in employment.
4. Maintaining the status quo: Lasw that prevent the forceful overthrow of the government.
5. Facilitating orderly change: Laws enacted only after considerable study, debate, and public input.
6. Facilitating planning: Well-designed commercial laws that allow businesses to plan their activities, allocate their productive resources, and assess the risks they take.
7. Providing a basis for compromise: Allowing for the settlement of cases prior to trial. Approximately 90% of all lawsuits are settled in this manner.
8. Maximizing individual freedom: The rights of freedom of speech, religion, and association granted by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Basically this is a summary of the concept, and I have an assignment due on Monday which asks me to describe the functions of law. Professor is of extremely little help so far.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The text that I have that tells me what the Functions of the Law states:

The primary functions served by the law in this country are:
1. Keeping the peace: Laws that make certain activities crimes.
2. Shaping Moral standards: Laws that discourage drug and alcohol abuse.
3. Promoting social justice: Laws that prohibit discrimination in employment.
4. Maintaining the status quo: Lasw that prevent the forceful overthrow of the government.
5. Facilitating orderly change: Laws enacted only after considerable study, debate, and public input.
6. Facilitating planning: Well-designed commercial laws that allow businesses to plan their activities, allocate their productive resources, and assess the risks they take.
7. Providing a basis for compromise: Allowing for the settlement of cases prior to trial. Approximately 90% of all lawsuits are settled in this manner.
8. Maximizing individual freedom: The rights of freedom of speech, religion, and association granted by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Basically this is a summary of the concept, and I have an assignment due on Monday which asks me to describe the functions of law. Professor is of extremely little help so far.
I would suggest that you expand on the summary given. You can do this by researching examples of each item.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">