• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws that Protects Buffet restaraunts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missxbookworm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

So, I'm an employee at a buffet, and we're losing profits because of the new notion people have of to have one person get a plate, and another eat off of it. We have tried to charge these people who eat off another's plate, as they are eating our food, but they argue that the food is being payed for afterward by the person who originally had the plate. Now, there has to be something protecting us from people who do this, and it's a lot more common. I know there's something on 'Grazing' with grocery stores, can that principle be applied to our situation? They are depriving us of goods with out payment, so to speak? How should we further handle this situation?

asiny

So, I'm an employee at a buffet, and we're losing profits because of the new notion people have of to have one person get a plate, and another eat off of it. We have tried to charge these people who eat off another's plate, as they are eating our food, but they argue that the food is being payed for afterward by the person who originally had the plate. Now, there has to be something protecting us from people who do this, and it's a lot more common. I know there's something on 'Grazing' with grocery stores, can that principle be applied to our situation? They are depriving us of goods with out payment, so to speak? How should we further handle this situation?
Post that only 1 plate to a customer and that no plate sharing is allowed.
Enforce it and, if they argue, you can always tell them to leave.

Antigone*

Really???:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Are you really going to call the buffet cops? The loss of customers and risk to reputation would be a much greater loss.

justalayman

Charge by the person rather than the plate.
exactly.

One of the buffets I go to occasionally simply charges people as they come in. Each person entering must pay for a buffet service. That way there is no concern of grazing from another's plate.

If a person doesn't want to pay for a buffet service, they don't come in. While it may occasionally cause a situation where a person actually is simply there for the conversation with the rest of the group, that is generally not the case. If the folks want to have a dinner party where only some will eat, then let them go to a restaurant suited for such a service.

swalsh411

They are depriving us of goods with out payment, so to speak?
There is no "so to speak" about it. They are stealing from you, plain and simple. If you catch them, make them pay whatever the buffet price is on the spot and if they refuse, kick them out. If they refuse to leave, call the police. I promise you that other customers will not mind because they are also being ripped off. (by having to support other customers who steal)

HomeGuru

**A: it is the restaurant owner and manager that needs to deal wit this and not you. A review of the policy and some changes following the law (proper signage etc.) would be good.

justalayman

I want to go to a place with a sign that says "Fatties pay extra"
why is that? I most likely weigh considerably more than you but almost assuredly eat much less than you. Buffet restaurants make a killing from me as I eat less than the average consumer, especially at a buffet restaurant.

ecmst12

Problem is, OP isn't the boss, and he can only enforce rules that his boss tells him to enforce. If the boss wants to allow plate sharing, that's on him, not you. You just work there.

JustAPal00

When I was in school, a bunch of guys I played football with went to a buffet and handed back the plates and said they'd just use their trays. They ate the whole buffet!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">