• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mold in Apt, Caused by Landlord, Worthy to Pursue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwar2004

Hello,

Just wondering if I should pay a mold inspector to come out and verify the mold in my apartment, which I can show was caused directly by the landlord and maintenance, who did not respond to several of my written and certified requests to have the problem remedied. I've had mold here for over 2 months now. Although we feel fine, I have no idea if we have health damages or not. Sometimes we feel light-headed, but that's about it. Money's tight, so it's kind of an issue.

I'm moving out in a week because the landlord decided to not renew with us, so I appreciate your information and your quick reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

CSO286

Hello,

Just wondering if I should pay a mold inspector to come out and verify the mold in my apartment, which I can show was caused directly by the landlord and maintenance, who did not respond to several of my written and certified requests to have the problem remedied. I've had mold here for over 2 months now. Although we feel fine, I have no idea if we have health damages or not. Sometimes we feel light-headed, but that's about it. Money's tight, so it's kind of an issue.

I'm moving out in a week because the landlord decided to not renew with us, so I appreciate your information and your quick reply. Thank you.
Why bother spending the $$ to do it if you re leaving?

kwar2004

Why bother spending the $$ to do it if you re leaving?
Well, please correct if I'm wrong, but if I or one of my loved ones winds up with a sickness down the road, the only way I'll be able to prove the owner had something to do with it is if I proved that there was mold present while I lived here.

CSO286

Well, please correct if I'm wrong, but if I or one of my loved ones winds up with a sickness down the road, the only way I'll be able to prove the owner had something to do with it is if I proved that there was mold present while I lived here.
You have to do way more than that.

You'll have to prove that this mold was toxic and that it was this mold that caused the hypothetical disease in the future as well.

Almost every building has some kind of mold in it.

Mold spores are in the very air we breathe.

kwar2004

You have to do way more than that.

You'll have to prove that this mold was toxic and that it was this mold that caused the hypothetical disease in the future as well.

Almost every building has some kind of mold in it.

Mold spores are in the very air we breathe.

Heh well you make the possibility of this set of events going down seem very far-fetched. Would it really be, as you make it sound, near impossible to prove that it was this mold that caused said hypothetical disease? I feel like if I or my family get a disease in the following months, it will definitely be from this exposure.

Thank you kindly for your replies, you've been helpful already.

CSO286

Heh well you make the possibility of this set of events going down seem very far-fetched. Would it really be, as you make it sound, near impossible to prove that it was this mold that caused said hypothetical disease? I feel like if I or my family get a disease in the following months, it will definitely be from this exposure.

Thank you kindly for your replies, you've been helpful already.

Yeah it really would be that hard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">