• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House party quest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

branton06

California
So Im planning on starying a house party business I will be serving alcohol and charging for the service what permits or licenses do I need?

I want to also serve food mostly BBQ food are there any laws or procedures do i need to be away of?

what sorts of liability issues can arise from hosting house parties, what fines might I incure?

these will be 21 and over events

ID will be checked at the door and wrist bands given out

events will be Bi weekly

thank you for your advice in advance :)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

This is way beyond the scope of this forum.
You're going to need a public health operating permit to operate the catering end of the thing. You'll need a business license. Your "party" is nothing more than a roving bar. You'll need a liquor license from the CA ABC. You'll need a catering permit for each event.

If you by house party, you mean you're going to hold these in residences, you're probably also going to be violating the zoning and probably have an impossible road getting the appropriate special exception to not run afoul of that.

You have the normal business liabilities. If someone is injured at your event, you can be held liable for your negligence. You better be checking ID's well. You can be criminally and civilly liable if you serve alcohol to a minor. While California has no dram shop law that opens you to civil claims for serving an adult, there are certain cases where you may be in criminal liability for serving an already intoxicated client.

Just handing out wrist bands and red cups and leaving the keg out is NOT going to work.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">