• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KCulver

i recently broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years and he took my car from me. the car was purchased in his name but i paid all of the payments from the time we got it until now. i moved to another state after the breakup and since the car was in his name i had to carry insurance with him. he refused to carry insurance with me in another state and took the car from me. my main question is do i have any right to the car or any of the money that i paid for the car over the last 2 years?? we both now live in tennessee.

JETX

Probably not. Here is only part of the problem...
It sounds to me like the vehicle was 'communal' property, while you were together, there was no problem of ownership or payments. Now that you have separated, the problem arises. He can very easily claim that any payments made by you (if you can prove payments) were 'gifts' to him. And since there was no specific 'repayment' plan, the moneys weren't loans, but gifts. Also, he can claim that the car was his, and in return for him 'allowing' you to use it, any payments made by you were, in essence, agreed 'rent' payments for letting you use it.

See, a lot of different scenarios can arise from this situation. And with NO agreement in place (verbal or written), you could have a hard time convincing a court that your payments should be 'refunded'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">