• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business DBA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smitharmymom

Texas. My wife and I are divorced, and my business was in her name. I want to put my business in some else name, due to illness. What do I need to do and what would be the problems with doing it?

tranquility

What do you mean by "my business"?

If a schedule C, just do a new DBA.

From the form:
Changes to Information: There is no procedure for an amendment to or correction of an assumed name
certificate. If there is a material change in the information on the certificate, a new certificate should be
filed (TBCC § 71.152). The new certificate should be filed within 60 days after the occurrence of the
events which necessitate the filing. An event that causes the information contained in a certificate to
become materially misleading includes a change in the name or form of business of the assumed name
registrant.
If something else, it would depend.

Smitharmymom

My business

My business is auto repair, I put it in my wife name because at the time my credit was bad. Since we are divorced now I want to put it in someone else name and I want to know if my ex can create any problems?

Smitharmymom

Dba

My business is auto repair, I put it in my wife name because at the time my credit was bad. Since we are divorced now I want to put it in someone else name and I want to know if my ex can create any problems?

Silverplum

Sure she can.

Are you actually saying that the business is owned by her, officially -- and you want to somehow remove her ownership and give it to someone else? Do you plan to financially compensate her?

Smitharmymom

Dba

The business is her's in name only. She has never had anything to do with the operation of the business. Her name is on the dba and on the bank account. Again she has never participated in any part of the business. She file taxes...i pay.

tranquility

Silverplum states what I was alluding to, why do you think it is your business?

Info edit:
Since none of the answers seems on point, I assume it is just because.

I have no idea what needs to be done. I'm thinking an attorney would be needed to transfer ownership to you in any way. Since Texas is a community property state, if you don't have a judicial order from the dissolution giving you the business, you are going to get the business. (As a factual issue in the first place and as jargon in the later.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">