• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can i be sued for if i sell copies of the same website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstep2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (internet law)

Basically i have developed several types of websites (dating site, auction site, and promotional site for entertainers). I no longer want to run these on my own but what i would like to do is make multiple copies of all of them. Create a different design for each copy and give each one it's own domain name and just sell them one by one to people looking to run a business from home.
Now 2 of these websites do have a membership which i'm going to sell with each one (i will state in the ad that the members are from a different site but it will be stated very vaguely).

So i want to know what laws if any i'm breaking and what damages i can face for this if lets say one of my buyers happens to recognize his site elsewhere. Note: these sites are being sold for around $1,000 each and will not turn into huge money makers, they're meant to maybe return the investment 3 times or so (please keep that in mind when calculating what damages someone can sue for).

I basically want to know how much in damages (assuming this isn't a criminal issue) i can actually face if something happens.

note: i will keep ownership of the copyright

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you're question isn't whether or not you're breaking the law...rather, you want us to let you know how much it's going to cost you to break the law.

Responsible members of this forum will not help you plot ways to break the law (or even dupe unsuspecting buyers of your sites.)

fstep2

So, you're question isn't whether or not you're breaking the law...rather, you want us to let you know how much it's going to cost you to break the law.

Responsible members of this forum will not help you plot ways to break the law (or even dupe unsuspecting buyers of your sites.)
i'm not duping anyone, they're getting perfectly good websites and their business income from those sites will not in any way be effected by me reselling the programming i made. so yes i would like to know if i'm breaking the law, how i can do the above without breaking it and what damages i can face if someone doesn't like this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i'm not duping anyone, they're getting perfectly good websites and their business income from those sites will not in any way be effected by me reselling the programming i made. so yes i would like to know if i'm breaking the law, how i can do the above without breaking it and what damages i can face if someone doesn't like this.
I was referring specifically to you selling the customer base to multiple people in such a shady manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">