• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an S Corp own shares of an LLC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xsys2001i

I live in NC and own a new startup that is organized as an S Corp. I have a friend that also has a business (not sure of the type of structure at the moment), and we've been contemplating working together in a slightly different capacity than both of our businesses.

My questions is, if we form an LLC for the new venture, can my current S Corp own my portion of the shares of the new entity?

I guess while i'm posing that question, would it be best to just own the shares as an individual instead? and just work both companies separatley?

Thanks,

Sean

Mass_Shyster

My questions is, if we form an LLC for the new venture, can my current S Corp own my portion of the shares of the new entity?
Yes.
I guess while i'm posing that question, would it be best to just own the shares as an individual instead? and just work both companies separatley?
How to do depends on a lot of different factors.

xsys2001i

Steve - thanks for the reply. What would be some 'factors' that would that would make it better for me as an individual to own the shares vs. my S Corp?

Thanks!

Sean

tranquility

That's what books and expert advice are for. It is not the role of the forum to do law review articles or long if/then trees.

One example might have to do with the profitability of each. If the LLC is profitable, it will increase the income of the S-corp. The higher the income of the S-corp, the higher the reasonable salary of the owner.

(Thus increasing the tax load of the owner for FICA and MCARE matching amounts.)

FlyingRon

While I don't think anything stops you from having a corporation as a member of the S-Corp, you're going to lose the ability to treat the LLC as a S-Corp (for income pass through) if you do that.

davew128

While I don't think anything stops you from having a corporation as a member of the S-Corp, you're going to lose the ability to treat the LLC as a S-Corp (for income pass through) if you do that.
OP mentioned having the S-corp own the LLC, not vice versa.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">