• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Trial Discovery request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LWIN22

I am involved in a small claims case in New York, suffolk county. I wanted to do a Pre-Trial Discovery request. I called the clerk of the courts and an assistant answered the phone she said that they do not do this in new york, she suggested that i show up on the court date and make an application for adjournment pending review of the documents that the plantiff had. Is this right, I am questioning this because she seemed very hesitant on the phone and kept putting me on hold to ask other people.

JETX

First, I STRONGLY suggest that you go by your library or bookstore and get a book called "How to Win in Small Claims court in New York". A lot of your questions will be answered, and it is a good 'tutorial' on the entire system.

Also, here is a good website on procedures for Small Claims in New York:
http://tenant.net/Court/Howcourt/sclaim.html

As you will see, you CAN request a "subpoena duces tecum," which is a legal document that directs someone to produce a bill, receipt, or other written document or record you need.
This request can be made at any time up to 48 hours before a trial date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">