• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Peddler definition (need clarification)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am the manager of a non-profit company who distributes flyers to residential neighborhoods. The flyer has a plastic bag attached to it and is asking for people to donate any unwanted shoes they have for a company called Green Eyes in Africa. People leave donations out the next day and we pick them up.

Occasionally, we have issues with local city ordinances which prohibit us from leaving flyers at the doorstep of houses. In one such city, we have gotten complaints, but we still get a great response and donations from 95% of the people. I wanted to look into getting what the city calls and what the residents have told me I need called a "peddler's permit" because residents have complained and we want maintain a good standing with the city and its residents.

Now, I did research and I found the local ordinance that talks about peddlers and all the requirements and penalties regarding obtaining a permit. The first thing I did was take a look at the section that says "Peddler defined". Here is what that city has defined as a peddler for their purposes:
“Peddler” means any person goes upon the premises of any private residence in the city, not having been requested or invited by the occupant thereof, selling or taking orders for, or offering to sell or take orders for goods, wares and merchandise for present or future delivery, or for services to be performed immediately or in the future, whether or not such person has, carries or exposes a sample of such goods, wares and merchandise, or not and whether or not the person is collecting advance payments on such sales or not. (Ord. 2929 § 1 (part), 2003).
Our flyer guys do go on premises of private residences not having been requested by the occupant/homeowner, but we do not sell, take orders for any kind of goods or merchandise period. The only thing the flyer person does is leave the flyer by the door for the occupant to see, never does this person ring a doorbell and attempt to sell anything. And the flyer is only asking for something that is unwanted and goes to a non-profit (501(c)) company.

If I'm interpreting their definition correctly, I don't believe we are, or have ever been, in violation of that ordinance. Yet I personally have had the police called on me by a resident once before because she didn't like that I didn't have a permit. And they told me I had to stop even after I explained what I did and showed them what it was (which they didn't appear very interested in). I'm going to call the city's department which handles this to get their answer, but I'm almost suspecting they might have a broader view of what their definition says. Can anybody shed some light or at least provide another opinion based upon what we do and what the city's definition of a peddler is? Thanks in advance.

I re-read it over and over again and have spotted the clause "or for services to be performed immediately or in the future". I'd consider what we do to be performing a service, although we are not collecting any payments and there is no sale. I'd imagine that one clause makes us subject to needing a peddler's permit.

I'd still appreciate any input or opinions you have.

Ok sorry I keep posting without doing the FULL research. So in addition to what I've already discovered, there is an exemption to the peddler's license/permit. The exemption is discussed here:
(b) A peddler who does not offer for sale any goods or services with an asking price or requested donation of more than twenty dollars is exempt from the licensing requirements of this chapter including the payment of fees. Such peddlers shall be subject to Section 5.28.080 and Section 5.28.090 of this chapter. (Ord. 2929 § 1 (part), 2003).
Since we don't offer a sale or a service or ask for a specific donation amount (we only ask for what is unwanted and un-needed with no specific $ amount requested - anything helps).

But that still defines what we do as "peddling", and although exempt from license, it's subject to the other sections regarding peddling (those other sections discuss peddling hours and peddling where "no peddling" signs are posted , I have no problem interpreting or following those rules)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">