• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

501 (c) 3 - Cultural Center Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCcurious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Good day,

This forum has been very helpful, thank you!

I am looking into opening an Arab Culture Center in North Carolina and I had a question regarding my non-profit status.

I plan on opening the culture center in an existing restaurant/lounge type location. I plan on creating a "museum" type of decor with informative descriptions of influential Arabic people, places and traditions. I also plan on having a series of monthly speakers on Arab influence and Culture. Additionally I plan on having Middle Eastern music and art ands crafts on display for sale from local vendors. Finally, I plan on hosting and sponsoring local Arab language and culture groups to use my space for meetings and events at little to no cost.

To help fund the cultural center and its activities, I plan on serving traditional Middle Eastern fare, providing Arab beverages (including alcohol, liquor license required) and providing Hookahs (traditional Middle Eastern Water Pipe) . I will use the proceeds from these activates to A) Pay myself (reasonably) and operating costs B) Provide the services and speakers C) All additional proceeds to local Arab related charities.

My question is- will the IRS deny my Non-Profit Application because of the "restaurant" aspect?

I feel there is precedent with places like museum gift shops, restaurants and coffee shops.

Thank you

NCcurious

I appreciate the link but I was hoping for some guidnace before the $850 application fee. If you are suggestioning that there is theoretically nothing that should prevent my application, of course all I can do is apply.

Im hoping this is the case, I just want to be sure before I go through with it.

Thanks

NCcurious

Ya, just did. Looks like it shouldnt be a problem.

The only issue I may run into is the profits I make from the business. If I make too much, its going to be difficult to fully reinvest without paying too high of salary and such. Hopefully I can make a decent living and spread some knowledge about Arabic culture.

I appreciate your help Road Warrior- if your ever in NC, look it up!

Silverplum

Sorry I am new, how do I post a thread.
Pick the forum area that best suits your question content. Go to that forum area. Above the most recent posts on your topic is a button that reads, "+ Post New Thread." Click on that, give your thread a title, and type in your question. Include your US state name.

Don't use the "Preview" function -- it eats posts.

Good luck. :)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Good day,

This forum has been very helpful, thank you!

I am looking into opening an Arab Culture Center in North Carolina and I had a question regarding my non-profit status.

I plan on opening the culture center in an existing restaurant/lounge type location. I plan on creating a "museum" type of decor with informative descriptions of influential Arabic people, places and traditions. I also plan on having a series of monthly speakers on Arab influence and Culture. Additionally I plan on having Middle Eastern music and art ands crafts on display for sale from local vendors. Finally, I plan on hosting and sponsoring local Arab language and culture groups to use my space for meetings and events at little to no cost.

To help fund the cultural center and its activities, I plan on serving traditional Middle Eastern fare, providing Arab beverages (including alcohol, liquor license required) and providing Hookahs (traditional Middle Eastern Water Pipe) . I will use the proceeds from these activates to A) Pay myself (reasonably) and operating costs B) Provide the services and speakers C) All additional proceeds to local Arab related charities.

My question is- will the IRS deny my Non-Profit Application because of the "restaurant" aspect?

I feel there is precedent with places like museum gift shops, restaurants and coffee shops.

Thank you
It may be that you can get non-profit status, but you would still be taxed on the restaurant/bar income. However even that is not a sure thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">