• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection of judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JObrabb1

my wife left me a year or more ago. while she was gone she hired a lawyer to get papers out on me for seperation and property settlement. she later changed her mind and came back home and droped all legal papers. her lawyer had charged her $650.00 to take her case and my wife never was able to pay him. I did not pay him because it is not my debt. the lawyer got papers out on her for a judgement and now they want to execute the judgement and papers was sent out by the sherrifs office to list anything that is not to be picked up for sale to satisfy the judgement. everything here is in mine and her name together she has nothing solely here in her name. What can the courts take if anything. everything I have is paid for. I just feel this is not my debt and I should not be libel for it. My wife is disable and on social security. She has a mental problen and is not able to work. the social security check is not being sent to her because of her mental ability.

[Edited by JObrabb1 on 05-03-2001 at 02:58 PM]

JETX

Since you can't read the RED text at the top of the screen ("WHEN POSTING, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR STATE BECAUSE LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE."), we can't help you!!

The rules are different in each state on what can, or can't, be seized. Further, if you live in a community property state, that would drastically impact any response.

But, I will offer the following GENERAL comment... who do YOU think should be liable for the debt??? Your wife, of course. And you say that EVERYTHING "here is in mine and her name together". Hint: That means that they can take HALF of everything that would be non-exempt property ("you can keep the $400 TV, I will take the $400 couch; you can keep the $300 washer, I will take the $300 dryer; you can keep the $500 car, I will take the $500 trailer, etc."). Or they might be able to seize your bank accounts and force you to prove what percent of the funds are yours and what are hers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">