• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I cancel a payment / Check made to the State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xgyrl

I just filed a LLC-1 form, barely sent it in 5 days ago. I filed 2 forms which cost 70$ each. Just today, unforeseen circumstances has forced us to cancel our LLC-1 application. So we dont need to register as LLC entity anymore. I called California's State Secretary business line to check status of the application. They said it hasnt been filed yet. That in order for me to cancel, I would have to mail in a request which is free but I will not get a refund on the 140$ LLC1 application fee. They only cancel when an app is rejected due to wrong payment or application information. Upset because I didnt need or wasnt going to use the llc but it was going to cost me 140$ and I couldnt get a refund, I asked the operator "What would the penalty be if I cancelled the check?" She said there is not penalty but they advise against it. ???? Really? They just want to keep my $$$ My question is, Has anyone ever cancelled a check made to the state and is it legal to cancel a check made for a LLC application?

Thank you for your advice :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">