• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex contractor wants to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpinMN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mn

If a someone sues a company that I was once a part owner of but is now closed in small claims court do I even need to show up?

tranquility

If a someone sues a company that I was once a part owner of but is now closed in small claims court do I even need to show up?
If the company is "closed", probably. If the company was wound up, probably not. If not a corporation, LLC or limited partnership, yes.

HelpinMN

re

the company was a LLC, and what does "wound up" mean. My ex partner filed some sort of paper work he said to officially close it and we closed the bank accounts.

HelpinMN

re

ok, I my partner kept saying that he filed paperwork to dissolve the company so i'm assuming he did it correctly (I go crosseyed when I read legal documents)

My other question would be: I know he cant afford a lawyer (even if he could the amount he thinks he is owed is less then 3k) what would happen if he just chooses to sue us personal (using his name) instead of his company. Is that ok being that we never had dealings with him personally, just his company?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mn

**A: no if you plan on permanently moving to parts unknown say Mexico.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">