• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Linking to website from android app

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The question is around linking and using names to refer to the link. Such If I have a android application. I have listed for the user in a menu list Quick Links. When the click it is will show in the app Different websites Names such as it could say Google or Yahoo or a company like FreeAdvice.. And once clicked will open the phones default browser and take the users to the website clicked. "Can" I use the sites names to reference where the user is going? If not what is a legal way to do it?

quincy

Providing a link to a site's home page is okay.

You can provide a link to the "FreeAdvice" home page and identify the link as "FreeAdvice."

Is this what you are asking?

csix

I have a travel app. I want to list all the airlines so a user can get to them fast-- I know the name "Southwest" is trademarked. Is it okay to list out the names within the app like Southwest, American Airlines?

I want users to be able to access the websites quick...

quincy

Yes. It is okay to use a trademarked name to describe the trademarked company and its website. It is okay to use the name American Airlines to identify the link to the American Airlines website.

What you are proposing is essentially the same as what a telephone book does - it directs readers of the telephone book to the number of American Airlines, which could not be done without listing the name American Airlines in the book.

quincy

You cannot freely use the content on their site, but you can link to their content.

It is not public domain material that is on a particular airline website, but the names and website addresses are public information that can be used to direct a user to the rights-protected material on a website.

csix

Thanks a bunch.. I had 2 separate apps. One not release yet the travel one.

And another that was removed because they said I volated a DMAC, because I listed a link to there site.. And used the name of the site in my app. Wondering how I can challenge this... quincy Not sure if your a lawyer, but I put the apps together to help people.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

This is not an attorney referral site nor do attorneys come here to solicit clients (or at least they are not supposed to). You can, however, locate an attorney through the links provided at the bottom of each posting or you can go to your state Bar Association site for direction in finding an attorney in your area.

I don't know why there was an objection to your linking. Linking in and of itself is not a copyright violation. It would be a violation to create a link that is designed to contribute to unauthorized copying of copyrighted material and some website owners may object to "deep linking" whereby the link does not go to the website's home page (even though this does not appear from court decisions to violate copyright or trademark law). But why there was an objection to your linking is something I can't tell you.

The forum members here base our advice on the limited amount of information provided in each thread by a poster, however, and because of this we do not have access to all of the facts - and law is very fact specific. For this reason, it is always wise and advised to personally review the particulars with an attorney in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:

csix

Email removed good point :)

More or less I was trying to get a understanding of "what" is alowed and Not. I think I have one now. Thank you for your reponse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">