• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mixing Personal and Business Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

im4gin3th4t

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am a bookkeeper for a small S corporation. My boss asks me to classify his personal expenses (such as groceries, his girlfriends rent and utilities, one time a locksmith for his girlfriends car, his brother's car payments etc.) I am not sure if this is legal and whether it is or isn't it makes me feel uncomfortable and I am looking for a new job. But I am afraid if this is illegal and the company gets audited then I will be held liable. Advice on legality and liability please?

tranquility

The bookkeeper would not strictly be held liable, but the owner will probably blame her anyway.

While commingling is not "illegal", it certainly has implications. One implication is in regards to taxes. Filing S-corp returns based on such numbers would not be correct and, with intent, be illegal. Another implication is if there are any other shareholders in the corporation.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am a bookkeeper for a small S corporation. My boss asks me to classify his personal expenses (such as groceries, his girlfriends rent and utilities, one time a locksmith for his girlfriends car, his brother's car payments etc.) I am not sure if this is legal and whether it is or isn't it makes me feel uncomfortable and I am looking for a new job. But I am afraid if this is illegal and the company gets audited then I will be held liable. Advice on legality and liability please?
If he is the sole owner of the company andhe is asking you to do this it is not illegal. It might come back to bite him in the behind later, but it would not be illegal.

JillRogers

Under the Internal Revenue Code those expenses should be classified as member's draw since they are not business related. The expenses can also be classified as an asset account called Due from Owner.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">