• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old personal letters and journals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joyannd

I am doing some research on WW1. It has led me to a local man who was involved in the war. He left his trunk, containing his personal papers, etc to the Historical Society. It is possible I will want to use some of his personal reflections in my article. Are those materials copyrighted? Does the Historical Society own the copyright on them by virtue of the fact that they own the trunk? Is there any way I can go about acquiring the copyright on them? My state is PA.

L

lawrat

Umm, this is a little more difficult because of copyright laws having changed. It may very well be in the public domain. But one thing you should remember, copyright ownership doesn't relate exactly to ownership of the object.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">