• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trademark infringment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrmade

I own a service related business. My business has a very, very distinct name. Put it that way. Someone, who's practically in my backyard, started a business with a name that includes the distinct part of my business name.
I happen to have obtained a trademark on that distinct word within my industry. I'm the only one that can use that word within my industry. At this point I have contacted the business owner, then his lawyer, they ignored me. Then I had my lawyer contact his lawyer. They tried ignoring my lawyer. When my lawyer managed to talk to his lawyer, he made it sound like they don't agree I can restrain their use of this word, and they're not going to cease and desist under this identity. My lawyer tells me it's going to take 10's of thousands of dollars to take them to court. I don't have that kind of money. In my opinion, it's clear. He's violating my trademark, and he's creating market confusion. Can I even consider requesting a preliminary injunction on my own, and then filing a suit on my own? The details are really black and white. Thank you.

justalayman

you have two choices:

fight the claimed infringement or not

As your lawyer said: it won't be cheap but realize that if you fail to enforce your rights, you will be giving them up. It's your choice.

as to an injunction: you might get a temporary injunction in conjunction with filing a suit to enforce your rights. It will not be enforced if you take no further action to enforce your rights.

jrmade

I understand those factors. My question was whether anyone thinks I can represent myself in a situation like this? I've been researching to find what needs to be proven in order to support my claim. It doesn't sound all that difficult. But I haven't ever actually done anything like this, so I don't want to assume anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">