• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quoting Twitter in Ebook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattristine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am wondering about the legality of quoting other peoples 'tweets' in a non fiction ebook. They would be used to basically provide a timeline of events throughout the book, with my analysis and commentary in between. All tweets would be clearly credited to whom they came from, and would be used in context. The tweets would not just be from one person, but a wide range of people who tweeted on the same subject.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

justalayman

here are the TOS of twitter:

Twitter / Twitter Terms of Service

I have not read them thoroughly but I did see that the copyrights remain with the writer per the terms. I did not see what allows a person to "re-tweet" another's tweet. It may be in the licensing Twitter demands of the posters to allow such re-tweets.

You are not allowed to use the name Twitter or any identifying marks without their permission. They do provide a contact point to direct any inquiries should you wish to use their name or marks in some way.

so, that means, in the end, you would have to have permission from the posters to use their material in your book.

good luck with that.

FlyingRon

I assume retweets are covered under twitters license under the terms to distribute/syndicate things you tweet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">