• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Play

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bullsfan586

I live in the Chicago Land Area of Illinois. My daughter was recently in a production of Macbeth at her high school. I took a little video of a soliloquy she performed. I want to post it to Facebook so my family and friends can see it. What is the legal position on this?

FlyingRon

Shakespeare is in the public domain.

You might have an issue on the performance but it's pretty thin in this situation since it is pretty much only your daugther appearing....I'd not worry about it.

OHRoadwarrior

If you are concerned, set up a profile for the viewing only. Make it private and only let those you want to have access enabled. Remove the video and abandon the profile later.

bullsfan586

So how is video different from pictures. They didn't seem to mind me taking pics? What is the legal issue here?

Last edited:

asiny

So how is video different from pictures. They didn't seem to mind me taking pics? What is the legal issue here?
Just because it's an important question.... why are you asking? Where you approached by anyone threatening/informing you with legal action if you were to post the video?
If you were to post the entire performance, then it could be an issue for any of the other parents- as it is just your child... post away for the relatives to enjoy her solo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">