• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(default?) software ownership/copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crosswinds

Hi! I have a sole proprietorship in the state of PA. I only do work "on the side"; fixing computers, selling computers, and some custom programming.

Recently I created a MS Access program for a client. This program will link with another program through ODBC tables (in an application by another vendor). The problem: the client and I never signed a contract, and never agreed on ownership of the access program (I know, dumb mistake #1). Now, he's telling me that he should own the source code, I say I should. He's planning on suing me in court (I imagine small-claims court; it hasn't gotten that far yet). I know I'll probably have to get a lawyer, but I'd like an idea of what my options/chances are. The other vendor had mentioned the possibility of marketing this access program (with myself and the client), but no details were ever discussed. So, who owns the source code, me? or the client who paid me to write it? BTW, I do have a copyright notice that displays for 5 seconds at the start of the access program; saying "Copyright 2001 <my company name>... warning... this computer program is protected by copyright law and international treaties...blah blah blah"

(For those who want some more detailed info... there's quite a bit of custom VB code in the program; when I put a new update on the clients computer I always convert it to an MDE file to hide the VB code)

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">