• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grain storage too close to my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manhattanguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas A grain handling facility is threatening to store grain on the ground within a 100 feet of my home. I have a family member that spent three weeks in the hospital last year due to the grain mold and dust. Are there any regulations or laws that would protect us from this? The property they intend to store this on is rightfully theirs. The grain (milo) is piled on the ground and is left there for months before picking it up. Would appreciate any advice you have.

CJane

I do not believe they can do so legally. I would contact the USDA or KSDA to see if there is an exception I am missing.

http://www.ksda.gov/includes/statute_regulations/mainportal/GRAINLAW.pdf
The exception would likely be that the statute applies to public warehouses - grain elevators that are for the storing of grain owned by multiple people/corporations.

THIS sounds like private storage on the owner's property.

I also doubt that mold from the grain caused the OP's relative's/housemate's issues. Milo is harvested when dry. Piled in the open, in Kansas, in the fall/winter, it's not likely to get wet enough to mold. And it's not a dusty grain either. There's very little 'chaff'.

I'd be interested in the medical diagnosis that blamed the person's health issues on 'grain mold' from the open storage of milo.

OHRoadwarrior

From what I saw in the regs, all grain had to be stored in an elevator or in a bin. That is why I suggested OP contact the AG depts.

(I usually give brief answers and only expound when requested)

CJane

From what I saw in the regs, all grain had to be stored in an elevator or in a bin. That is why I suggested OP contact the AG depts.

(I usually give brief answers and only expound when requested)
The statute that you posted applies to public warehouses, not private persons.

There might be (I doubt there is, but there might be) a similar listing of regulations for private storage of grain, but I sincerely doubt it.

tranquility

The cause of action here would be nuisance. Because you are trying to prevent the nuisance coming to you, you don't really have facts to explain why you fear THIS use of the property. You need a property law attorney to have a chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">