• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful arrest through a warrant issued on a paid citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

winterradio

Pennsylvania
I was pulled over on a traffic violation today and sat in my car expecting a ticket instead I was told there was a warrant out for my arrest and summararily frisked, cuffed and put into a holding cell. When I expressed my disbelief, the arresting officer looked into the matter further and told me the warrant was for a noise violation issued in 1999 and paid two days thereafter, when I was in college. The officer informed the issuing district and was told that they had made an error and I had paid the noise violation(I still have the receipt). I was taken to that district's traffic court by constables and then released because no charges existed. My question is this. I would like to know if there is any kind of action I might take to prevent this type of occurance from happening again. I do have an attorney with whom I can consult but, before doing so I would like to have a broader understanding of what sort of protection and damages might be awarded for their incompetence which, caused me much embarassment and ultimately led me to miss an entire day of work(needless to say my employer was not very pleased even after my explanation). I realize the litigiousness of our society but this sort of negligence would obviously make even the most mild mannered utterly irate. Any comments, suggestions or courses of action would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">