• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused on Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CrackerJack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

The former band I was in had created 2 songs. We kicked a member out and he is trying to claim all rights to those 2 songs. Lyrics, music, property rights, the whole nine yards you name it. We also changed our former band name by changing 1 letter in the name. The Band Name Still looks and sounds the same but that was only to create another Facebook, Reverbnation, and Myspace page to help promote our band. The ex member actually had control over the old websites. That's why I've changed the band name up just a little.

He wants all the rights to himself, while the rest of the band wants to be fair about it. But he keeps pushing and talking so much smack about it that we just are almost tired of worrying with him.

We have not played anywhere LIVE yet, so I honestly don't see the hype about it all. But that is coming very soon The ex-member keeps threatening with taking us to court but I honestly think he has a strong bark and no bite.

So if I get these 2 songs copyrighted, do I need to put all co-writers on that copyright including the ex-member? What if the ex-member gets the copyright before we do, are we screwed? How does that work?

Anything you can help me with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

justalayman

Who wrote the songs?

music?

So if I get these 2 songs copyrighted, do I need to put all co-writers on that copyright including the ex-member? What if the ex-member gets the copyright before we do, are we screwed? How does that work?
the copyright already exists. Whomever wrote the song owns the copyrights. Registering it doesn't change that.

CrackerJack

Well we all wrote the songs. I have the original copies and so does the ex member. But he is claiming that he is going to get them copyrighted and sue us if we play Live or put those 2 songs on a CD. Can he do that?

So there is no legal road I have to take in doing so? I understand that copyright starts with the computer but you are literally saying that I don't have to pay that $35 dollar fee to say I actually own it with the government. Isn't it possible for somebody just steal the song and use it for themselves if they heard it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">