• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaxx81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Starting a web-based business with a friend from college. I am in Nevada, he is in Massachusets, and our lead developer (non-partner) employee lives in Florida. My friend and I are both active duty military and do not have a clue what state we will be living in in the next 2 years.

The business will provide only web-services and will be supported by revenue from advertising, no retail goods sold. Our server host is in California, but is always subject to change.

What in the world do we do, being geographically separated and most likely to be in completely different states in 2 years. We will always be performing business functions, programming etc, based on where we connect to the Internet.

zaxx81

What do you do about what, precisely?
Where am I required to register the business? We work from three different states. If we did an LLC don't you have to file with a state? What happens when we don't live in that state anymore. There will not be a physical commercial location...at least not while we are in the military.

davew128

Where am I required to register the business? We work from three different states. If we did an LLC don't you have to file with a state? What happens when we don't live in that state anymore. There will not be a physical commercial location...at least not while we are in the military.
You register the LLC as a foreign entity in any state any of you or any employee is performing services for the LLC.

zaxx81

You register the LLC as a foreign entity in any state any of you or any employee is performing services for the LLC.
Do you have to register a simple partnership as a foreign entity? Also does this apply to "contracted services" instead of an employee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">