• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright infringement on Harry Potter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blueyedbethie82

I live in the state of Missouri. I have wanted to start a party planning business around the "Harry Potter" theme for some time now. Obviously, this would fall under copyright law since everything that has to do with "Potter" is licensed in some way or another. However, I have seen internet sites that sell "unauthorized" books, t-shirts, etc. Pretty much anything you can think of, I've seen it being sold as unlicensed merchandise. Now, I will not be selling any merchandise at all. Anything physical the guests receive would be part of the service (such as prizes, goodie bags, food, beverages, etc.) I will not give out any licensed merchandise at all. I really need to know if my service is going to infringe on J.K. Rowling's or Warner Brother's copyrights since I will have actors dressed up as "Potter" characters, use words, phrases, and character's names and likenesses, and have similar objects that you would see in the "Harry Potter" world as decorations and props (a "chalkboard" with a "transfiguration" spell on it, robes in house colors that actually say "Gryffindor", "Ravenclaw", "Hufflepuff", and "Slytherin", etc.) As long as I'm not selling these items, is it legal for me to charge customers for my party planning services and then come to their house with these items and use them during the party?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you really believe that seeing it on the internet somehow makes it ok?

Your business model is based on stealing.

Proserpina

And let's not forget, JK Rowling's legal team are DEMONS when it comes to this stuff.

(As they should be).

They do not take this stuff lightly.

They can, and will, bury you.

FlyingRon

Not only Jo is aggressive in protecting her copyright and trademarks, much of the visual imagery belongs to Warner Brothers and their pretty ferocious as well.

cyjeff

So, to put a bow on this little question....

JK Rowling's legal team will come down on you like the wrath of God Himself. They will sue you for every word, every image, every phrase and every likeness you use until you are living out of a cardboard box.

They will sue you until you don't have a dime to your name, and then they will sue you again.

and then Warner Brothers starts after JK and company end.

In other words, it would actually be smarter to use a lit match to figure out if there is any gasoline in the tank.

Now, if you still wish to pursue your idea, you can contact the respective entities and sign a nice royalty agreement. But, you say, that will cost a fortune and you won't make any money with your idea.

Which would explain why there isn't anyone else doing it either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">