• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WC\Maritime-Jones Act\Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irons227

My exhusband was injured his back 6\07\2000 working on a dredgeboat on the river.his position was 1st mate, and he acquired this injury 2 weeks before he took a day off due to pain in back and legs.(He had worked 36 days with no time off. An accident report was filed on the date of injury. The day he took off work the Captain called him at my home 2 times to inquire if he would be back to work the next day, which he did and was fired before he could get on the boat. Later that day his captain went to him and tried to hire him back as a deck hand. The core of engineer told him he could not get back on the boat at this time because thay knew he had injured hisself at work. The company sent him to a doctor of his choice. To cut this part short, after he had seen 3 different doctors, and is currently working with a third lawyer, it was found that he had 2 damaged disk in his back that would require surgery, but the company paid all medical bills up until last month. He did not receive any payments from June until 12\10\2000. Paid ($4000.), and he was limited to $620 after that which they also quit paying last month. He is covered under the jones act, but the company insurance sent all of his paperwork to the state of Arkansas for WC. They refused to pay anything. He had to hire a 3rd lawyer in Mississippi to try to get this fixed, as he was not receiving any monies, and could no longer pay for medical care. The company insurance (Zurich) agreed to let his last doctor burn 8 nerves in his back so that he could go through physical therapy, they were advised this would only last 4-5 months and the pain would return. Last month this company started calling him and telling him he had no business trying to sue them and now they were not going to pay anything. We were advised by the ins. adjuster to seek council because he would have to be compensated by the jones act? I need advise about this? I am partially disabled due to cancer and a heart attack, and have only been doing part-time consulting on some projects that I can do at home. I took care of him and got him to doctors until last December when the amount of differnt drug and depression caused a violent reaction that injured me. He was sent to a counsoler, but only got to see him twice because the monies were cut off. I have not received any child support or reimbursement for my expense because the jones act settlement has not been obtainable. Do I have the right to file my own lawsuit for my child's support payments and the damages that have been done to the both of us due to their diregard for his injury. he is currently under a restraining order because of his mental state and the abuse that it caused. I don't have alot of legal expertise, but I knoe this is not right. They have even told one of his lawyers that he would not be able to work for them again even if his therapy had worked.
Any information you can get for me would be much appreciated

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">