• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing Interest From Other LLC Member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caigander

UTAH

I currently own 35% of an LLC, there are 3 other members. Member 1 owns 30%, member 2 owns 20%, member 3 owns 15% and I own 35%. I want to purchase the 15% from member 3 and 1% from member 2, so that I would own 51%. Both member 2 and 3 are okay with this purchase. Member 1 however objects to the purchase, the remaining 3 members including myself want a single person to have a majority stake in the company.

My question is, since I am already a member, do I need Member 1's approval before purchasing the shares from Members 2 and 3? Or do we just need the majority of the members to approve it. I know if we are admitting a new member then we would need 100% approval, what are the laws concerning share transfers between already existing members? Also, since Member 3 will no longer hold any interest in the company, do we need to do anything special for their withdrawl? 60 days written notice etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">