• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milesaway

Hi I live in Iowa and I want to trademark a domain name for my new business I am going to be starting. But there is a domain that is very similar to the one that I want but what it does is completely different from what my site would do. I won't give the name of the sites but my issue is my name would be friendfinder and there name is friendfinders. with just one letter difference but the two sites do completely different things. Would I have an issue trademarking my site?

Thanks,
Miles

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Chances are you are OK unless their mark is sufficiently famous that they can argue you are going to dilute it. I.e., you can't call your window washing business Pepsi's just because it's not the same as Pepsi and you're not in the same business. Trademarks are garnered not by filing with the USPTO but by their use in commerce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">