• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massage Business Disaster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

77bam77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I opened a massage business in Florida. I moved there for a very short time, but was having problems with my pregnancy and decided to go back home. I left the business open (I only had a few months left on my lease) and made the bank account a corporation with one of my employees so she could help with the bills and whatnot.

About a month after I left, I got a phone call that one of the employees had been arrested for offering an inappropriate behavior to an undercover officer (I'm hoping that's okay to say here and apologize sincerely if it is not). I was very upset. I shut down the business immediately and surrendered my establishment license to the board of health.

Almost four years later, I'm getting a letter stating that I'm not allowed to open another massage establishment (not that I ever want to - this has been a nightmare) and the employee I had on the bank account with me is losing her establishment license. This is going to be on public record. They are also fining me over $5000. This was the only contact I've had with these people.

If someone could please give me any advice, it would be appreciated.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I opened a massage business in Florida. I moved there for a very short time, but was having problems with my pregnancy and decided to go back home. I left the business open (I only had a few months left on my lease) and made the bank account a corporation with one of my employees so she could help with the bills and whatnot.

About a month after I left, I got a phone call that one of the employees had been arrested for offering an inappropriate behavior to an undercover officer (I'm hoping that's okay to say here and apologize sincerely if it is not). I was very upset. I shut down the business immediately and surrendered my establishment license to the board of health.

Almost four years later, I'm getting a letter stating that I'm not allowed to open another massage establishment (not that I ever want to - this has been a nightmare) and the employee I had on the bank account with me is losing her establishment license. This is going to be on public record. They are also fining me over $5000. This was the only contact I've had with these people.

If someone could please give me any advice, it would be appreciated.

You may have left an employee to run your business, but this was still your responsiblity. You might want to speak to an attorney, hopefully there are not criminal charges pending against you for the activities that went on in your business.

Does not look like you are going to have a happy ending. If you are the CEO or similar you may be liable for the charge.

What are they charging you with, statue-wise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">