• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about forming an LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattmah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi there,
I am a music producer living in Chicago. I am renting a loft that I plan to use as a commercial recording studio. I'd like some input on whether I am eligible to form an LLC or not. Here are some issues:

1. The space is a coach house behind a commercial building. Based on my interactions with utility companies, I believe it's zoned as commercial space. But, we have no access to the street, only the alley.

2. There is only one door, and no fire escape. (I'm not even sure if my landlord is allowed to do this, but it's a great space at a great price, so I'm trying to live with it for now.)

3. I live in the space.

4. I plan to throw small concerts with 50-100 people in attendance once a month. A small "donation" would be paid by attendees at the door.

I'm mainly concerned about whether I will draw attention to myself by forming an LLC, only to find out after that it's illegal to run a business in my space. I want the protection of an LLC with clients coming in every day and small concerts being held monthly, but I'm not sure if it's even legal in the first place.

Additionally, any estimates on cost for registration would be greatly appreciated. I've done some research and found that the name will only cost about $75-100 but filing articles of organization will cost $600 or more. I could be wrong though as it's very confusing to me.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

FlyingRon

I don't see why anything you said has any bearing on forming an LLC, but frankly an LLC doesn't give you impunity to break the law.

Living in the commercial space is illegal. It sounds like the space is also illegal to occupy for residential or just about any use other than storage due to the lack of exits. Chicago has one of the toughest fire codes in the country.

Holding concerts in this space will require a PPA permit and I guarantee your space as described does not meet the requirements.

An LLC will not protect you against your personal acts and frankly what protection it might provide would easily be pierced by this sham in the case that there was some suit brought against you. The "liability" that the LLC provides is primarily that of debts brought against the LLC being charged to you personally, it's not some sort of way to dodge personal negligence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">