• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC and Trademark

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatyD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am starting my company and I want to registrer my company name as my trademark. There is a small diference between my company name and my trademark name: Food (LLC) and Foods (trademark). Is there a problem with that?

Thank you..
Paty D.

FlyingRon

It should not be a problem. Frequently trademarks are simplifications of the corporate name which will often include company, inc., limited, LLC, etc...

quincy

Generic terms that describe a product or service do not work to distinguish one product or service from another and, therefore, they do not receive trademark protection. These descriptive terms are in the public domain and can be used by anyone.*

Even originally non-generic brand name trademarks like Kleenex (for tissues) and Escalator (for moving stairs) can lose trademark protection over time if they become so closely connected in people's minds with the products or services as a whole that all "like" brands are referred to by these trademarked names. Both Google and Xerox are trying to prevent their trademarks from becoming generic terms, which loses for them protections offered under trademark law. Google, for example, is now frequently used by consumers to describe any search conducted on the internet (ie, "google that term") and Xerox is frequently used to describe any copying service.

So it is reasonable to assume that Foods and Food LLC are likely examples provided by PatyD and are not the actual names of PatyD's company. . . .;)

*some exceptions may apply

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">