• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyrighting jokes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

i.m.artist

if the jokes are of my own creation, can they copyrighted ?......I have a copyright that was infriged upon by the postal service, dead on! what should I do next, will give up 75% of all monies recieved when I win. will you help/

H

hoganisme

joke copyright

Your jokes are protected by copyright if they are original and contain some amount of creativity. Generally, very short jokes and one-liners probably won't be protected. The more intricate the joke, the more likely protection. Assuming a copyright, you will have to show access to your work unless they are pretty much the same (which you say they are). To sue, you will have to regsiter, if not already done. You should consider if the expense is worth the damages you could receive (what you lost and what they gained or maybe statutory damages). If you think so, you should hire an attorney to file suit. If they won't take it, it is probably not worth your time (at least from a money view).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">