• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property being held by police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wkaholic

What is the length of time the police may continue to hold property confiscated under a search warrant. Specifically a computer seized due to belief it was used in the submission of a crime. They now know that the computer was not used for that crime, but by their reading emails, they now believe the computer was purchased on a account of a former employer, although the email they read does not specifically state that, and their is no proof overall. They have had the property, as well as other property and $800 cash for about two months now, and I haven't heard a word about it's return, although I've called several times.

This is the BART police located in Oakland California.

W

wkaholic

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=56940

It may be a dino when I get it back, but is there a legal
time frame for how long they can hold the property? I am well aware that many members of the SF Bay Area's police forces, and probably the US as a whole, quite often steal property from citizens. It has happened to me before. But if there is a law which states a certain length of time, then I can use that in seeking restitution. They also have $800.00 of my money and other items.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">