• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about title of satirical work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harryjrfa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am working on a satirical/comical piece that takes a classical piece of religious Christmas music and applies new lyrics.

I wanted to know if title I intend to use is, at least in theory, something I can/should copyright.

Without going into detail, the new lyrics will use a well-known and possibly already copyrighted phrase, like "Yo Momma". And just for example, let's say I want to name the final piece "Yo Momma Fugue". I know this particular example is laughable, go ahead and laugh; I'm just trying to illustrate my question.

With a title like "Yo Momma Fugue" (stop laughing :D), would it be something I could copyright? If it ends up being a hit, I don't want other people to swipe a possible copyright away from me.

Second, what about permutations? Maybe something like "YM Fugue" or "Yo Momma Classical Fugue". Would I need to include permutations in the copyright? Would I need a separate copyright for each permutation?

If this has been answered elsewhere, please post help for me to find the answer. Otherwise, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

HJ

quincy

Titles and short phrases cannot be copyrighted, so you can use whatever you want for your title (as long as the title or phrase is not trademarked).

Your original lyrics will be automatically copyrighted once they are completed and fixed in a tangible form. Registration of the copyright is not necessary, but will provide your work with extra protection.

Good luck with your musical piece. :)

(Hi, FlyingRon. I could have used your help earlier in a different thread ;))

Last edited:

justalayman

As a note, the Albert Brooks' piece I mentioned is awfully bawdy and not everyone finds it humorous. For some reason your mention of doing a parody of religious Christmas music made me think of it. Again, good luck with your work.
religious Christmas music reminded you of that? Just what kind of church do you attend Quincy?

and bawdy? Nobody (under 99) uses the term bawdy anymore.:p

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Um, well, yes, for some strange reason my brain made the connection. I deleted my references to it because it was far bawdier than I remembered. :eek:

I guess I will blame it on my advanced age (almost 99) and too many of OG's whiskey balls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">