• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get compensation for my damaged apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

misti

I live in an apartment in Southern California. The building is a mess, and is not well taken care of to begin with, but, anyway...

In January of this year, the toilet burst in the apartment above mine. The water leaked into my bedroom and soaked my new mattress, and a few clothes in my closet. The carpet was also ruined. When the supposed "cleaning" company hired by the magament company came in, they ruined my bedspread and didn't clean the mattress well or the carpet. I had to re-hire another cleaning company to come back and clean things.

The manager of the building (who's since left) promised to cover the cost of my cleaning, and never did. When I took the receipts to the management company, they refused to talk to me about it, telling me to write a note to the owner. He never responded, and I'm getting pretty iriitated.

I want to know if I can get the owner of the building to pay for the replacement of the mattress. I have tried to get the managment company of the building to respond to me, but they claim it's my problem, and I should have had rentor's insurance. If I had to leave my apartment for a few nights because the bedroom was uninhabitable, aren't they responsible for the damages?

Also, the repairs they supposedly did in the bedroom didn't resolve the problem; the stains in the ceiling came back and the carpet is smelling like mold.

Can I take them to small claims, or should I hire an attourney to help me? Also, will I really be able to collect even if I win? Can I use the local papers or BBB to scare the management company into resolving this?

Thanks! Misti

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">