• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I or Shouldn't I ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I frequent a local McDonalds for the free wifi and there is a person who is there that is downloading and burning current movies that are playing in the theaters. He has approached me before and asked if I wanted any movies to which I replied "No,I'll buy the legal ones thank you". He is not descrete about what he is doing. Should I or shouldn't I report him? If so how and who would I report him too?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I frequent a local McDonalds for the free wifi and there is a person who is there that is downloading and burning current movies that are playing in the theaters. He has approached me before and asked if I wanted any movies to which I replied "No,I'll buy the legal ones thank you". He is not descrete about what he is doing. Should I or shouldn't I report him? If so how and who would I report him too?
Let the owner of the Mickey D's know.

quincy

If you wish to report his illegal downloads, you could contact McDonald's Corporate Headquarters at 630-623-3000, or at 2111 McDonald's Drive, Oak Brook, Illinois, 60523.

What the McDonald's employee is doing is a crime and it can be a costly one for him - up to $150,000 per (willful) infringement of a copyrighted work if or when he is traced to the downloads. The movie industry has been pretty aggressive in recent years when it comes to pursuing and then suing people over infringement of their copyrighted films.

Proserpina

If you wish to report his illegal downloads, you could contact McDonald's Corporate Headquarters at 630-623-3000, or at 2111 McDonald's Drive, Oak Brook, Illinois, 60523.

What the McDonald's employee is doing is a crime and it can be a costly one for him - up to $150,000 per (willful) infringement of a copyrighted work if or when he is traced to the downloads. The movie industry has been pretty aggressive in recent years when it comes to pursuing and then suing people over infringement of their copyrighted films.

Agreed.

And as an aside, downloading movies and music illegally is actually a major peeve of mine. I commend disneykid52 for refusing the "offer".

(quick history: My ex was in a band and he and I jointly financed the production and manufacture of their break-through cd. A band-member left shortly thereafter and uploaded the entire cd to his personal website, offering free downloads. We lost a TON of money - I wish I'd known about this website way back then!)

So yes - major beef. Good for you, disneykid52.

Its not an employee thats doing it. Its a customer.

quincy

Ahh.

Well, McDonald's is not providing free wifi so customers can illegally download copyrighted works, so if the customer is one who frequents the restaurant, I would still report him to McDonald's Corporate Headquarters.

The customer may be banned from the restaurant and, if any of the employees are found to have encouraged the downloading or taken advantage of free DVDs, they may be looking for work elsewhere.

But it's ultimately up to you whether to report him or not.

Ahh.

Well, McDonald's is not providing free wifi so customers can illegally download copyrighted works, so if the customer is one who frequents the restaurant, I would still report him to McDonald's Corporate Headquarters.

The customer may be banned from the restaurant and, if any of the employees are found to have encouraged the downloading or taken advantage of free DVDs, they may be looking for work elsewhere.

But it's ultimately up to you whether to report him or not.
It is free wifi

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">