• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I own a small business (part time - hobby) being in fulltime employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

likeskris

State: VA

I'm working for a global IT company on full time basis.
Is it legal to start a small business to work on my leisure time?
I'm very much interested in app development and would like to know

1) If I start my own business (registered LLC) and start selling
my apps online (in android market or iPhone appstore) would that be an issue?

2) If with out starting a small business but sell apps online on my name (with my SSN) would that be oK?

My company is not into App development business. Though they have certain internal business related apps in the app store & android market.

Thanks a lot for your advice,
Kris

Isis1

State: VA

I'm working for a global IT company on full time basis.
Is it legal to start a small business to work on my leisure time?
I'm very much interested in app development and would like to know

1) If I start my own business (registered LLC) and start selling
my apps online (in android market or iPhone appstore) would that be an issue?

2) If with out starting a small business but sell apps online on my name (with my SSN) would that be oK?

My company is not into App development business. Though they have certain internal business related apps in the app store & android market.

Thanks a lot for your advice,
Kris
there is nothing illegal about being a full time worker for two seperate employers. in fact, you can be a fulltime worker for two seperate employers AND a full time student. exhausting, but not impossible.

so, the only real question is...does it conflict with your current full time employer. which, btw, they could terminate legally for being fully self employed.

davew128

so, the only real question is...does it conflict with your current full time employer. which, btw, they could terminate legally for being fully self employed.
They could terminate even if it doesn't. Many professional firms will have in house policies prohibiting outside jobs or employment regardless of their nature, when they are worked, or where.

Antigone*

I did it for twenty two years ... no problem in your case. No conflicts.
You cannot make that blanket statement.

Dave and Isis are absolutely correct. While it is legal for him to do as he pleases, his employer can choose to terminate him if he does not terminate his moonlighting activities. The termination would be perfectly legal.

eerelations

I did it for twenty two years ... no problem in your case. No conflicts.
Willlyjo, you are misleading the OP. While what he's asking to do is perfectly legal, he may think what you're telling him is that nothing bad will happen to him (see "no problem") if he goes ahead and does it.

OP, again, while what you want to do is perfectly legal, your employer may not like it and may fire you for it. And that firing would also be perfectly legal. I recommend that if being fired is a concern for you, that you ask your employer about it first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">