• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to legally obtain Music Videos?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

borsuk48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

Hello,

I want to open a new business, an online television. I have contacted the FCC and they told me that I do not need a broadcasting licence because this is only going over the internet.

In order to fill time and gaps between programs and commercials etc, or as a background gap filler I would like to use Music videos ( Both video and audio). Does any one know how to obtain the copyrights for the Video/Audio or both? Do I need permission to play these music videos, I only intended them to promote the videos, not to alter them or anything. I understand this could be a grey area, but I am not intending in anyway to use these music videos/clips for any copyright purposes.

Does anyone know where I can buy the right or the music videos so I could use them?

FlyingRon

For what you want, you will need get permission. Since it is daunting to do so yourself, there's a number of businesses that will do so for you. Google "music video clearance.'

You do know that use of any copyright music in your endeavor requires a license (and payment of royalty). This includes any that happens to be in the background of programs you "air."

borsuk48

This is where the grey area comes in when you say "air" because It will not be aired anywhere on television, but only on the internet on our business website, youtube, vimeo, facebook, and so on...

But on the other side I am using it for promotion of that specific music video.
I Still need permision, don't I? :p

Proserpina

This is where the grey area comes in when you say "air" because It will not be aired anywhere on television, but only on the internet on our business website, youtube, vimeo, facebook, and so on...

Yes, you do.

There is no loophole for you. Pay the licensing/royalty fees, and get permission.

justalayman

there is nothing gray about what you are doing.

substitute broadcast, display, publicize, distribute or any other term that is synonymous for air in your situation and re-read.

Claiming it is only to promote their work is incorrect, unless of course it actually is for that use (which it isn't). I would suspect the owners of the rights would be thrilled to allow you to publicize their works if that were the case. Of course, if you used it for something such as, oh, for the sake of argument, filling in blank time between your shows on your webcast, then you are not simply promoting their works but using them for your own purposes. You are benefiting from the use by having a more attractive broadcast. If you believe otherwise, just leave the time blank and see how attractive your site is.

FlyingRon

It's still a public performance. I put quotes around air because there's no radio transmission involved, but as far as the copyright issues, it matters not if you have a broadcast television station or a web site. You must pay the performance rights on the material you want to use. You can get blanket license for the music itself through the US performance rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) but to get permission to play then videos, you'll need to contact the rights holders directly. As I told you, there are companies that will do this for you. Google the terms "music clearance" as I stated before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">