• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent needs answers, underage drinking at relative's, very strange story...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cadillac

hi i live in pennsylvania. 3 days ago my 15 year old daughter spent the night at her aunt's home. the aunt was drinking alot, and gave my daughter 1 drink. the aunt & her boyfriend started fighting, the aunt decided she was going to threaten suicide, so the boyfriend called 911. when the police arrived, he did nothing to the aunt, but asked my daughter if she had been drinking. she admitted to having 1 drink, so he took her in to the station. i'm not really sure if she was considered arrested (the citation lists "type of arrest...on sight", but he searched her overnite bag several times, interigated her with questions, gave her a breath test which showed .042. we were never contacted until after it was all over, and she was never read rights nor given the option of having us present. she (actually me) was given a citation, no amount listed, and am supposed to take this somewhere within 10 days to scedule a hearing date. my daughter is a very shy, honor roll student, who has never been in trouble with the law. she is actually very sheltered, i'm still upset with myself that i ever agreed to let her stay overnite with this aunt! my daughter told me she doesn't even like to drink, she just took it because the aunt gave it to her...the aunt never even got charged with giving her the drink, but yet my daughter had to go through all this alone! I am not sure exactly how serious this hearing will be, the police made it sound minor, said it would not be effect her college record, etc. do i need a lawyer present? what type of fine and consequences am i looking at? i really live on a tight budget (hubby is legally blind, on disability), and really hesitate in spending hundreds of dollars on a lawyer unnecessarily. Also, i am extremely upset that the police did not even contact us to be there for her during all this! is this proper legal procedure? i feel he handled the situation very poorly, we are talking about a 15 year old girl, who wasn't running the streets or causing trouble...she was just spending the nite at her screwy aunt's house, he answered a SUICIDE call, instead focuses on this 15 year old for having 1 drink! and this has given my daughter a fear of the law & police now. police should be trusted individuals by children, at least that's what i always believed. my husband says just plead guilty, and suffer the consequences, but something is telling me that i better get some legal advise. thanks so much for listening, and please offer me advise on all this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">