• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to buy a web platform/script?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m2962390

I am going to buy a website platform/script which is a clone of a relatively famous web site.

It there any documents that need to get from the seller to be able to use it from legal point of view? I want to make sure that I will not be sued by someone after I set up my web site using this script.

Let me give you an example… Imagine someone was writing the code for Groupon.com, then changed the job and sold me something what in reality belongs to Groupon? I want to avoid a situation like this.

Thank you

Mass_Shyster

I am going to buy a website platform/script which is a clone of a relatively famous web site.

It there any documents that need to get from the seller to be able to use it from legal point of view? I want to make sure that I will not be sued by someone after I set up my web site using this script.

Let me give you an example… Imagine someone was writing the code for Groupon.com, then changed the job and sold me something what in reality belongs to Groupon? I want to avoid a situation like this.

Thank you
You want an indemnification clause in the contract, where they agree to indemnify you for any lawsuits arising from the use of their scripts.

You also want to make sure they have an insurance policy or bond backing up the indemnification clause, so if it turns out they don't have the money to defend you, the underwriter will.

BTW, I seriously doubt the seller will provide either.

m2962390

You want an indemnification clause in the contract, where they agree to indemnify you for any lawsuits arising from the use of their scripts.

You also want to make sure they have an insurance policy or bond backing up the indemnification clause, so if it turns out they don't have the money to defend you, the underwriter will.

BTW, I seriously doubt the seller will provide either.
Thank you very much, Stevef, this is exactly what I need. let me ask you a few more questions:

Where can I find a template or a sample of a contract for my situation?

Indemnification clause - is there a sample or somewhere on the internet?

quincy

You can Google "Warranties; Indemnities; Limitations on Warranties" and then follow the "library.yale.edu/~license/warrcls" link for clauses and explanations of the clauses that may be included in a contract.

m2962390, you stated in your first post that you "want to make sure" you are not sued and you want to "avoid a situation" like the example you provided.

There is nothing really that can prevent a lawsuit. You can be sued. The best way to avoid a lawsuit or a lawsuit loss, however, is to have a good solid contract drawn up. Trying to cobble one together yourself from what you may find on the internet is not the safest or the wisest way to protect yourself from legal liability. I suggest you consult with a professional to ensure all that you need covered by the contract is covered sufficiently.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">