• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This is a long shot but Is there a place that will buy the remaining interest...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

setfreesis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I receive child support interest only. My daughter is almost 30 now and I'm in need of the owed amount of over 30,000. Is there a place that will help me by paying me and collecting from him. It's a court order and monthly payments. Is this considered a structured settlement? Who can help?

tranquility

Try either the "it's my money and I need it now" people or a debt collector. Expect far less than you think it worth.

Antigone*

I receive child support interest only. My daughter is almost 30 now and I'm in need of the owed amount of over 30,000. Is there a place that will help me by paying me and collecting from him. It's a court order and monthly payments. Is this considered a structured settlement? Who can help?
They'd be fools to take the risk.:cool:

tranquility

I agree. But, if a quick credit report makes it seem the ex has assets, they might buy it for pennies on the dollar in hopes of a big payday.

If she turns it over to an agency, doesn't it become a debt that could be discharged through bankruptcy proceedings leaving her with nothing?

mistoffolees

If she turns it over to an agency, doesn't it become a debt that could be discharged through bankruptcy proceedings leaving her with nothing?
No. She's talking about selling her rights to collect. Once she sells those rights, she no longer has any interest to be discharged by bankruptcy.

nextwife

Yes, but if one SELLS a debt at a discount, any recovery belongs to the debtholder, so that would be the assignee's problem, not the CPs in this scenario. Odds are, if the CP has not been able to collect in all these years, nobody will agree to "buy the debt", unless for a deep discount, as well they should.

AS one who works in collections, there is always the value of known "cash in hand" vs the value of a possible future collection to consider when chooosing a course of action. The old "bird in the hand" idea. People die with insolvent estates all the time - I see LOTS of insolvent estates. While one may technically still owe, if an agency were actually willing to pony up cash to buy the debt, my collector brain would say GO FOR IT, unless there is evidence the party may indeed have assets or future collectability.

Yeah, sure, they owe till they die, but PLENTY of people die OWING lots to lots of parties who end up writing off the debt in the end. Is CPs health known? Longevity of parents? Odds of having a pension or Social Security retirement of any consequence? Odds of having any assets unencumbered by mortgages, car loans, etc? Odds of dying and all assets automatically passing to a surviving spouse?

mistoffolees

Yes, but if one SELLS a debt at a discount, any recovery belongs to the debtholder, so that would be the assignee's problem, not the CPs in this scenario. Odds are, if the CP has not been able to collect in all these years, nobody will agree to "buy the debt", unless for a deep discount, as well they should.
Just for comparison, I was looking at selling a structured settlement. It's a firm 5 year contract with an established company with good financials and plenty of money in the bank to pay the debt many times over. Even under those circumstances, they offered less than 50 cents on the dollar. For a child support settlement where the odds of getting paid are much lower, I'd be shocked if anyone would pay 10 cents on the dollar - if they'd buy it at all.

nextwife

Of course, a structured settlement is not at all like a long term uncollectable child support debt. The payor has a far higher likelihood of paying with a structured settlement.

mistoffolees

Of course, a structured settlement is not at all like a long term uncollectable child support debt. The payor has a far higher likelihood of paying with a structured settlement.
Exactly. That's why I pointed out that even in the best case - a guaranteed structured settlement from a stable, profitable company - I was offered less than 50 cents on the dollar, so OP could expect less than 10 cents - if anyone would buy it at all.

mistoffolees

For all the reasons given above, I would suggest that your best alternative would be to approach Dad and tell him that you'll settle for an immediate cash payment of some amount. Since you may never see the $30 K and need the money now, you might consider telling Dad that you'll accept $15 K if he can deliver it within 30 days (or whatever).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">