• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparent seeking child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ffune

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State. Grandparent seeking child support for 18 year old. Grandparent bailed him out of jail and offered him to live at his home. 18 year old is no longer living home due to assult charges and order of protection against him for attacking and assulting step father and mother, can not live with father due to do the same thing to his father in front of his probation officer and taking a swing at his step mother. He is completely out of control, in and out of jail since 13 continues to do drugs and drink heavily. Has no respect for authority or his parents what so ever, with younger siblings in each home.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State. Grandparent seeking child support for 18 year old. Grandparent bailed him out of jail and offered him to live at his home. 18 year old is no longer living home due to assult charges and order of protection against him for attacking and assulting step father and mother, can not live with father due to do the same thing to his father in front of his probation officer and taking a swing at his step mother. He is completely out of control, in and out of jail since 13 continues to do drugs and drink heavily. Has no respect for authority or his parents what so ever, with younger siblings in each home.

If he's living with you, go ahead and file for child support. NY is pretty friendly when it comes to pro se litigants.

(You may find though that you're out of luck - BL will probably stop by, but I'm not entirely sure that you can actually file for child support once the child is 18 even though child support can go beyond 19 in NY).

ffune

The question is, would a grandparent be entitled to child support as the laws state in NY are that parents are responsible for child support till the age of 21, but under the circumstances.....

Proserpina

The question is, would a grandparent be entitled to child support as the laws state in NY are that parents are responsible for child support till the age of 21, but under the circumstances.....

Which part of my response didn't answer your question? :confused:

Being an incorrigible brat doesn't mean they're not entitled to be supported by their parents.

Isis1

our question is...WHO are you?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wonder why the grandparents feel it is beneficial to the brat to cop him a break by bailing him out. I'd let him learn a hard lesson. Presumably the military isn't interested in taking on a juvenile delinquent.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I wonder why the grandparents feel it is beneficial to the brat to cop him a break by bailing him out. I'd let him learn a hard lesson. Presumably the military isn't interested in taking on a juvenile delinquent.
I think they stopped doing that years ago. :cool:

BL

If he's living with you, go ahead and file for child support. NY is pretty friendly when it comes to pro se litigants.

(You may find though that you're out of luck - BL will probably stop by, but I'm not entirely sure that you can actually file for child support once the child is 18 even though child support can go beyond 19 in NY).
Well ,if I'm reading this right , the 18 year old is no longer under the care and control of either parent due to his own actions , not the parents.

The grandparents bailed the now Adult out of jail and offered him a place to stay ( The grands have no mention of being granted legal guardianship before the age of 18 ) or when he went to jail .

Time for the 18 year old to stand on his own two feet or fall to his lowest and hopefully seek help .

Enabling him will do no good , but who knows he may just get by in life.

If the grand no longer wants him to stay , show him to the nearest welfare office to get started on his own.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">