• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be receiving Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heatherplus3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I have joint custody with custodial rights of my two boys (7 & 10). We split the days 50/50, according to his EMT work schedule. I do not work, and also have a two year old daughter. He does not pay me any Child Support (per the Residential Credit worksheet). Am I getting taken advantage of? Should he be paying me Child Support?

Proserpina

I have joint custody with custodial rights of my two boys (7 & 10). We split the days 50/50, according to his EMT work schedule. I do not work, and also have a two year old daughter. He does not pay me any Child Support (per the Residential Credit worksheet). Am I getting taken advantage of? Should he be paying me Child Support?

Why aren't you working?

There is a reason I'm asking.

heatherplus3

not because of a disability...i am newly married and stay home with our two yr old daughter...and, it would not be cost effective if i worked and had to pay for all my kids daycare. :)

Proserpina

not because of a disability...i am newly married and stay home with our two yr old daughter...and, it would not be cost effective if i worked and had to pay for all my kids daycare. :)

Then it's pretty much guaranteed that you would be or have been imputed a wage and with a 50/50 timeshare it's absolutely possible that he won't be ordered to pay anything.

You are willfully underemployed. File for CS and see what they say.

:)

Last edited:

heatherplus3

who is right...my husband or my ex?

Thanks so much for your reply. Its a constant battle between my new husband and me...he thinks my ex should be paying me support especially because I cater around my exes work schedule. We are barely scraping by and my husband feels that he is supporting me to stay home with our daughter and my ex should also be paying something since he is not needing to pay for child care if I was working. Its a bit complicated. :) thank you again.

Proserpina

Thanks so much for your reply. Its a constant battle between my new husband and me...he thinks my ex should be paying me support especially because I cater around my exes work schedule. We are barely scraping by and my husband feels that he is supporting me to stay home with our daughter and my ex should also be paying something since he is not needing to pay for child care if I was working. Its a bit complicated. :) thank you again.

That's honestly between you and your husband.

Out of interest, how much child care would your 7 and 10 year old need if you're working full time?

heatherplus3

Depends on the hours...he works 24 hr shifts 10 days a month. If I worked a 9 - 5 job, they would need some before and after school daycare and during the summer and vacations, quite a bit more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

No. But why are you trying to take advantage of him by NOT working, not earning any money and still getting child support?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your new husband is an idiot. You are NOT working. YOU are financially responsible for supporting your children -- not just your ex. You cater around your ex' work schedule? And? What do you mean by that? You give him allowances if he has to work late because YOU don't work?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Depends on the hours...he works 24 hr shifts 10 days a month. If I worked a 9 - 5 job, they would need some before and after school daycare and during the summer and vacations, quite a bit more.
Oh so therefore when your ex works you have the children and he gets the children on his time off? That is not catering. THat is COPARENTING.

Your current husband needs to get a clue. If he doesn't like it, he shouldn't have married a woman who was divorced and put her children first.

Proserpina

No. But why are you trying to take advantage of him by NOT working, not earning any money and still getting child support?

^^^ Looks like the husband is asking Mom the question. May just be that he doesn't like the reality of the extra "baggage" he took on.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
^^^ Looks like the husband is asking Mom the question. May just be that he doesn't like the reality of the extra "baggage" he took on.
Saw that. And quite frankly the husband needs to grow up. He shouldn't have married a woman with "baggage" if he doesn't like it.

nextwife

And would new hubby feel that YOU should pay ex CS if ex also had a new child with a third party and decided to stop working and become a SAHP?

heatherplus3

Wow!! Thank u everyone. These are all very helpful thoughts, however, I am trying to see his point as well. He feels we have to cater our life around whatever my exes schedule is...every month we receive my exes work schedule. My husband has four kids of his own that he pays a good chunk of support for (leaving us scraping by) and I do make some money from buying, fixing, and selling furniture on craigslist. My husband only gets to see his kids every other wknd and works hard to support all of us and my ex is only working ten days a week (24 hr shifts) at min wage. He used to make 125k + a year. My ex also has another child living out of state that he pays child support for. My husband is convinced that my ex makes as little as possible in order to avoid paying out too much child support...I'm going crazy here.

mistoffolees

Wow!! Thank u everyone. These are all very helpful thoughts, however, I am trying to see his point as well. He feels we have to cater our life around whatever my exes schedule is...every month we receive my exes work schedule. My husband has four kids of his own that he pays a good chunk of support for (leaving us scraping by) and I do make some money from buying, fixing, and selling furniture on craigslist. My husband only gets to see his kids every other wknd and works hard to support all of us and my ex is only working ten days a week (24 hr shifts) at min wage. He used to make 125k + a year. My ex also has another child living out of state that he pays child support for. My husband is convinced that my ex makes as little as possible in order to avoid paying out too much child support...I'm going crazy here.
Your husband's problems are his own. You should not be getting involved with them any more than he should get involved in your problems.

The answer is simple. File for a modification of visitation so that you don't have to work around anyone's schedule. Get a court order in place that covers custody and visitation and you'll know when it's your time.

Then, get a CS order in place. You should be imputed an income. If you choose to work part time, that's your choice, but your child's father should not be penalized for your choice. Both of you have to support your child. If your husband doesn't make enough to cover your financial obligations, then you need to get a real job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">