• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for full time boarded college student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My son has hopes of attending the Naval Academy. If he does indeed get admitted would I still be responsible for paying CS to his mother? I would like to think that since he would be living at the academy with good old Uncle Sam paying his bills that I would be no longer responsible to pay his mother. I know that fulll time college students under the age of 23 are usually eligible for support but I wasn't sure if a full scholarship with room and board constituted him moving out.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My son has hopes of attending the Naval Academy. If he does indeed get admitted would I still be responsible for paying CS to his mother? I would like to think that since he would be living at the academy with good old Uncle Sam paying his bills that I would be no longer responsible to pay his mother. I know that fulll time college students under the age of 23 are usually eligible for support but I wasn't sure if a full scholarship with room and board constituted him moving out.
What does your court order say about support? Word for word, but without the names.

tuffbrk

What does your court order say about support? Word for word, but without the names.
Why waste yoru time on a post that is not dealing with a current reality? The son has "hopes" of attending and that somehow turns into a full scholarship with room and board?

It's a waste of time dealing with what-if's.

Antigone*

Why waste yoru time on a post that is not dealing with a current reality? The son has "hopes" of attending and that somehow turns into a full scholarship with room and board?

Dad wants to dream:rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Probably, but I can waste my time however I wish.

Perhaps it's important for planning purposes.

Probably, but I can waste my time however I wish.

Perhaps it's important for planning purposes.
Ding ding, you win the prize.

My son is a straight A student in mostly honors classes so I feel his chances of admission are pretty high.

I was never a Boy Scout but I'm a firm believer in "Be Prepared".

If you feel it's a waste of time, please feel free to move along to another thread.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't know how the military academies work - is it like regular college, where the student/cadet is there on a semester basis, or is it year 'round?

I don't know how the military academies work - is it like regular college, where the student/cadet is there on a semester basis, or is it year 'round?
According to the USNA website "Naval Academy students are midshipmen on active duty in the U.S. Navy. "

I assume that means that he would be considered a full time active duty sailor which would suggest to me that he woud no longer be eligible for CS.

mistoffolees

According to the USNA website "Naval Academy students are midshipmen on active duty in the U.S. Navy. "

I assume that means that he would be considered a full time active duty sailor which would suggest to me that he woud no longer be eligible for CS.
As soon as you provide the exact wording of your court order, we might be able to help you.

I'm sorry this took so long. I'ts been a hectic past couple of days.

Any how, here is the exact wording of our agreement as it pertains to child support:

"Father shall pay child support for the benefit of the minor children to Mother in the amount of $xxx per week via Department of Revenue wage garnishment."

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When and IF your son is accepted and decides to attend (stranger things have happened), you can petition the court to end the support order.

mistoffolees

I'm sorry this took so long. I'ts been a hectic past couple of days.

Any how, here is the exact wording of our agreement as it pertains to child support:

"Father shall pay child support for the benefit of the minor children to Mother in the amount of $xxx per week via Department of Revenue wage garnishment."
I suspect that there's more than that. Specifically, the order doesn't say anything about age?

In MA, the court has discretion to order child support past age 18, but if it is not specifically ordered by the court, it can be terminated at age 18, anyway. So, if that really is the complete order, you can file to terminate support at age 18 regardless of whether the child is in Harvard or West Point or Boston Community College.
Child Support Guidelines

However:
Massachusetts Law - Until What Age Does Child Support Typically Run?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">