• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bracelet copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onyonet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I asked a person who is selling bangle bracelets online what gauge wire they use. Their response is:

I actually invented this style of bangles and all copies or derivative works will be protected by copyright laws and are not allowed.

The bangle is a single loop of wire with an adornment attached using a simple wire loop to the two open ends. I can see how each of their bracelets could be copyrighted as an original work of art. But can't I use different adornments and attach them the same way without violating copyright laws?

What if I use two loops of wire? Is that a derivative and therefore a violation? How about three loops? Or using a more complex wire loop to secure the adornment?

I find it difficult to believe that nobody else in world can use such a simple design without infringing on her copyright.

Thanks for any information.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I asked a person who is selling bangle bracelets online what gauge wire they use. Their response is:

I actually invented this style of bangles and all copies or derivative works will be protected by copyright laws and are not allowed.

The bangle is a single loop of wire with an adornment attached using a simple wire loop to the two open ends. I can see how each of their bracelets could be copyrighted as an original work of art. But can't I use different adornments and attach them the same way without violating copyright laws?

What if I use two loops of wire? Is that a derivative and therefore a violation? How about three loops? Or using a more complex wire loop to secure the adornment?

I find it difficult to believe that nobody else in world can use such a simple design without infringing on her copyright.

Thanks for any information.
So you asked the jewelry designer for specifics on exactly how she achieved her work, and she was unhelpful in helping you copy her work.

Surprise!

onyonet

So you asked the jewelry designer for specifics on exactly how she achieved her work, and she was unhelpful in helping you copy her work.

Surprise!

It's not that simple. The design itself is so simple anybody would think of it. I only asked what gauge wire she was using.

And thanks for you in-depth explanation. Very helpful.

onyonet

Here's a surprise. You're both wrong.

Thank you though. I learned to very important lessons:

1. Do the research myself

2. Don't ask idiots in forums like this for answers. You'll just get a bunch of "know-it-all" people spewing their own brand of bull ****

The bottom line is, the technique she is using is found in several books, that she didn't write. It's also been taught since before she was born in basic wire jewelry classes.

Don't bother answering. I won't be back to see your answers.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's a surprise. You're both wrong.

Thank you though. I learned to very important lessons:

1. Do the research myself

2. Don't ask idiots in forums like this for answers. You'll just get a bunch of "know-it-all" people spewing their own brand of bull ****

The bottom line is, the technique she is using is found in several books, that she didn't write. It's also been taught since before she was born in basic wire jewelry classes.

Don't bother answering. I won't be back to see your answers.
Yet, you couldn't figure out the wire gauge on your own? Perhaps a different hobby/profession is in order :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">