• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cart before the horse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEden

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.
I recently started an S-corp within the service industry. Prior to becoming registered with the Sec. of State as a legal corporation, I purchased a pick up truck and trailer using my own personal money. Both vehicles are used for company use only. Since the transaction was completed prior to my corporation being legally recognized, I had to register/title both vehicles using my personal name versus that of the company. Now that I am a Legitimate corporation, I would like to switch the vehicles over to my company name. Is it that simple? Or do I have to set up a promissory note from myself to my corporation to show a transaction has taken place etc?

I realize this is the 11th hour as far as calendar 2011 goes. For tax purposes, did I shoot myself in the foot by not getting my vehicles switched over before calendar years end? Is this something I can still complete in 2012 and use to my advantage (if there is any) for 2011?

My lawyer was swamped several weeks prior to the holidays and is now on vacation so I could not ask such questions directly.

Thanks for your feedback,
Newbie in the small business world

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.
I recently started an S-corp within the service industry. Prior to becoming registered with the Sec. of State as a legal corporation, I purchased a pick up truck and trailer using my own personal money. Both vehicles are used for company use only. Since the transaction was completed prior to my corporation being legally recognized, I had to register/title both vehicles using my personal name versus that of the company. Now that I am a Legitimate corporation, I would like to switch the vehicles over to my company name. Is it that simple? Or do I have to set up a promissory note from myself to my corporation to show a transaction has taken place etc?

I realize this is the 11th hour as far as calendar 2011 goes. For tax purposes, did I shoot myself in the foot by not getting my vehicles switched over before calendar years end? Is this something I can still complete in 2012 and use to my advantage (if there is any) for 2011?

My lawyer was swamped several weeks prior to the holidays and is now on vacation so I could not ask such questions directly.

Thanks for your feedback,
Newbie in the small business world
I would log the promissory note between you and the S-corp, although whether or not it makes any real difference on a tax basis depends on a lot of facts that are not in evidence at the moment...including how much activity the S-corp has actually had.

However, its fairly simple to transfer assets to the S-corp. The real question is whether or not you actually should do so.

davew128

However, its fairly simple to transfer assets to the S-corp.
From a tax standpoint I agree. However it is my experience that the legal aspect of transferring a vehicle (and all that is associated with the operation and ownership of such) nearly ALWAYS gets screwed up along the way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">